Organization: Open Sky Co-operative
We welcome adults who would benefit from one-on-one support and the routines of living in a household designed to build independent living and self-management skills for adults with ASD. Open Sky will provide appropriate skills-building, strategies and tools to achieve agreed-upon learning goals. Residency can be full week or Monday to Friday. Further support, as the adult transitions into independent living, can also be provided in their new housing option. An admissions process is required, with supports provided commensurate with the needs of the individual.
We can accept up to 3 residents at our farm.
Candidates considered for full time living at Open Sky
– Are adults over the age of 18
– Live with mild social, developmental, and/or mental health challenges
– Are interested in and capable of living in community with other adults
– Would benefit from some structure and support in residential and daily work environment
– Have indicated an interest in farming and or gardening
– Have sustainable financial support to cover accommodations, meals and basic program costs (depending on level of support/program required)
– Are physically able to work on the farm
– Do not suffer from allergies or medical conditions that would make living in a rural setting, or in an old house difficult (hay, dust, animal dander, for example)
– Do not live with phobias or aversions that would make living on a farm uncomfortable (such as discomfort with spiders or dirt)
– Do not require 24 hours per day supervision
– Are not at risk to harm self or others
– Are willing and able to follow simple instructions
Open Sky is not meant for emergency referrals, nor is it suitable for those with the potential for violence, those with untreated mental illness or those presently abusing substances (drugs and alcohol).
Open Sky reserves the right to turn down any application.